Monday 30 September 2013

Design trust

I don’t smoke, so I’ll have some extra money every month, or at least so you would think so. Somehow I always spend it. I’m not that kind of saving person, who would save for trusts etc. I have leaved through two different currency exchanges during my life. Once rubles to crones, and then marks to euros. So it has left me with a feeling that there is no point of saving, when the currency can change and the value of the money can change rapidly. I remember back in the days when my grandma saved money, and then when rubles changed to crones, and the value of the money dropped dramatically. Pretty harsh when you think that someone’s lifesavings might go down the drain in a moment.

I love beautiful things, and long-lasting design is close to my heart, even though we have lot’s of Ikea stuff. Vepsäläinen (local design store) had recently a campaign where you can buy stuff paying monthly without any extra charge. At the beginning I didn’t believe it, so I called there and asked are you sure that it’s completely without of extra charge even if you pay monthly. It was actually without extra fee, so it will cost exactly the same if you pay it all in once or monthly. Nowadays the advertising is so twisted that you just can’t believe everything that is said. Still there was a little twist - you have to buy items more than 2000  euros worth or something like that.

Our kitchen chairs have been in a braking point for a quite some time. Fake leather chairs simply don’t take it if you spill milk and food on daily basis on them. I have dreamt for a longer period of time Charles Eams chairs. All of a sudden everywhere I looked I could see them in the magazines and TV. The price has always been so high that I just haven’t had the opportunity to buy them. But now with this kind of offer I went to the shop and bought the chairs.

Because usually when you invest to trusts you invest for a longer period of time, so I thought of taking my “Design fund” for 5 years 50€ per month. Other big dream I’ve had is VP Globe sealing lamp. It’s something I haven’t even dared to dream of, I mean who in their right mind would buy a lamp that is more than couple of thousands euros. I remember when back in the days we lived in the centrum, I always went home by tram, and on the way there was a lamp boutique, where this lamp was hanging in the shopwindow. Back then I didn’t even know that the lamp was so expensive. Then I decided that when I turn to fifty I’ll buy that lamp together with the Charles Eams RECLINER. Now that I was in the Vepsäläinen getting the sitting chairs I saw a sample piece of the same lamp. We don’t even have a proper place for that kind of lamp. It would require in my mind at least a 7 meter high space. But I didn’t care and I bought it anyways. And because I don’t want to store it in a box, I put it on top of our bed. With some feng shui thing it’s probably really bad if you have something on top of your bed, but I think that it’s wonderful to look at something beautiful when you got to bed. At the same time it comes to my mind that if you really want something, you will get it, not necessary right away, but when the time is right. We have tied up the core many times (I didn’t want to cut it) so that once it will get the 7 meter space, what it deserves.

I tried to reason the  “Design trust” by thinking that it’s my way of saving. Usually design goods value will stay the same or even get higher with the time. E.g. the same kind of chairs that I bought now from the fifties with a nice real leather was 5000 euros one piece. Maybe my shopping doesn’t quite fit in to that category but I’m still happy that we have the stuff that I won’t get bored with even in five years.



No comments:

Post a Comment